Welcome to our nearly 7,000 graduate students at the University of South Carolina! This is the Graduate School’s second year of scaled up efforts to meet the professional development needs of our students. The goal of our professional development programming is:
To plan, implement, and evaluate high-quality, innovative professional development programming for graduate students to enhance their graduate education experience and prepare them for a variety of meaningful career options after degree.
To achieve this goal and meet the diverse professional development needs of our graduate students, we employ several strategies using various delivery formats and presentation styles.
Each Friday during the academic year, starting TODAY, we will post content related to professional development. On “Professional Development Fridays,” we hope that you will check out our posts on Facebook and Instagram, tweets on Twitter, videos on our YouTube channel, and our blog posts written by UofSC faculty, staff, and graduate students as well as alumni – like this one! (Shameless plug to take a look at the ones posted last year, which were really great too!)
In addition, for the fall semester, we have the following activities planned (with more information coming soon, as in next week – check your email!).
- Shut up… and write!: Use this dedicated time to write – your thesis or dissertation, a class paper, or anything – with the support of the Writing Center. Lunch provided. Scheduled dates: September 22-23 and November 3-4
- Start Smart: Enhance financial literacy and practice salary negotiation skills in this interactive workshop. Organized with the Student Success Center. Scheduled dates: September 28 and November 2
- Writing a Teaching Philosophy, Parts 1 and 2: Learn how to write a teaching philosophy statement and increase your competitiveness on the academic job market. Organized with the Center for Teaching Excellence. Scheduled dates: October 4 and November 1
- Considering and Applying your Transferable Skills Webinar: Find out what transferable skills are, how to develop them, and how to use them in your job search for a meaningful career. Scheduled date: October 6
- Learning from the Best: Mungo Award Winners: Attend this panel discussion with Mungo Award winners to learn their best practices and tips for effective teaching. Organized with the Center for Teaching Excellence. Scheduled date: October 16
- Learning the Art of Building your Network Webinar and Twitter Chat: Learn tips for effective networking with others in your comfort zone. Scheduled date: October 27
- Teaching in Different Settings: Learn from a panel of faculty at primarily teaching institutions about their roles and responsibilities. Organized with the Center for Teaching Excellence. Scheduled date: November 10
- Professional Journeys Webinar: Join this webinar with UofSC graduates sharing their professional journeys after graduate school. Scheduled date: December 1
As I mentioned, registration is required for all events. Check the Graduate School’s online calendar for registration links after next week. Space is limited for many in-person events. All #GRADprofdev webinars are recorded; register to receive the link to view the recording if you are unable to attend.
We are finishing up the final details for #GRADprofdev programming this fall, so watch for an email next week with additional information.
We look forward to connecting with you this semester. If you have ideas, let us know! We are already planning for spring 2018.
Dr. Heather Brandt is associate dean for professional development in The Graduate School and associate professor in the department of health promotion, education, and behavior in the Arnold School of Public Health at the University of South Carolina.
Questions? Comments? Ideas? Contact Dr. Heather Brandt at firstname.lastname@example.org.